What is StandBy?
StandBy is a national suicide postvention service that provides practical support to anyone who has been bereaved or impacted by suicide, at any stage in their life. This includes individuals, families, friends, witnesses, first responders, service providers, groups and communities.
How does it work?
This service is delivered by Wellways in five regions throughout Victoria, NSW and the ACT and is offered free of charge at a time and place that best suits those requesting support.
Support is person centred and available as one-on-one sessions for individuals or group sessions for families, community groups, schools or workplaces. Support can be ongoing for up to 2 years.
Support for individuals:
- Someone to talk to
- Assistance to connect to local supports
- Referral pathways
Support for communities:
- Locally tailored community workshops to increase awareness, develop connections and build a community’s capacity to support people impacted by suicide.
- Development of postvention planning and coordinated responses with workplaces and communities
- Presence at events and functions where people who are bereaved by suicide may require support.
How to access StandBy
StandBy is delivered by Wellways to all communities in:
- Murray PHN network from Mildura in the north across to Albury in the east and down to King Lake in the south.
- Western Victoria PHN network from Portland in the west across to Geelong in the east and includes Ballarat, Horsham, Hopetoun.
- The southern districts of Western NSW including Bathurst, Orange, Forbes, Parkes, Ivanhoe, Menindee and surrounds.
- Murrumbidgee PHN network from Albury to Griffith, Wagga Wagga and Gundagai. In partnership with the Murrumbidgee Response After Suicide Support Program
To access support please call 1300 727 247 or to enquire about workshops, community postvention planning or event support please contact the site coordinator on the regional email address below:
Murray - VIC
Murrumbidgee - NSW
Western NSW South
For urgent or emergency assistance contact:
- Dial 000 or go to a hospital emergency department
- Wellways Helpline 1300 111 500 (Monday to Friday 9am-9pm, excluding public holidays)
- Accessline 1800 800 944
- Lifeline (24 hours) 13 11 14
- MensLine 1300 78 99 78
- Suicide Call Back Service (24 hours) 1300 659 467
- Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
StandBy is an initiative funded by the Australian Government.