What is Doorway?
The Doorway housing and recovery program supports people who are affected by mental health issues, and are homeless or at risk of homelessness, to find a safe and affordable rental house.
Doorway focuses on supporting you to find a stable home and your recovery. We work with you to develop skills to manage your tenancy, your mental health and assist you to make plans for the future, with a focus on employment, training and education.
How Doorway works
When you join Doorway, you will have your own Housing and Recovery Worker who works with your clinical care team to support you. You will be assisted by people with lived experience to design support that meets your individual needs and recovery goals. This will include
building relationships with friends, family and the community, as well as exploring work and study options.
You will pay 30 percent of your income and all your Rent Assistance directly to your real estate agent towards your rent.
- support to find a home and sign a lease
- weekly support in your home
- help with looking for work or starting study
- support with building life skills and relationships
- assistance to buy essential items to establish your home if needed
- support to manage your rent and utility payments and to maintain your property
- help to transition out of the Doorway program into sustainable permanent housing
How to access Doorway
To be eligible for referral to Doorway, you need to:
- be homeless or at risk of homelessness
- have a serious mental health condition
- have a Clinical Case Manager at Alfred Health, Latrobe Regional Hospital, Peninsula Health or St Vincent’s Hospital
- want to live in the catchment area of your referring hospital
- be willing to accept weekly support from a Housing and Recovery Worker for your tenancy and mental health recovery goals
- agree to anonymously participate in research on the Doorway program
Doorway is currently accepting referrals.
Referral is through your Clinical Case Manager at Alfred Health, Latrobe Regional Hospital, Peninsula Health or St Vincent’s Hospital.
Talk to your Clinical Case Manager to find out more, or contact the Doorway team:
Phone: 1300 111 400
Download the Doorway flyer PDF - 197kb