The Way Back Support Service provides practical, non-clinical support following a suicide attempt. The service aims to assist individuals and their families by linking them with appropriate support services to help manage life situations and challenges. This includes providing education and awareness and being a sounding board to help increase resilience and coping.
People who have attempted suicide are identified as being at significant risk and the 24 hours, one week and up to three months following a suicide attempt are critical to ensuring people keep safe and have the opportunity to work through the hardships which are affecting their lives.
The Way Back Support Service is delivered by Wellways Australia in partnership with beyondblue and the Murrumbidgee Primary Health Network. This is the first time this service has been available in the Murrumbidgee region.
How does it work?
The Way Back Support Service is delivered to people who have been admitted to hospital following a suicide attempt. Participants can be referred through a number of channels including the Wagga Wagga Rural Referral Hospital, Community Mental Health Teams, GPs, family or friends.
Following your discharge from hospital a Wellways support coordinator will make contact with you. Over the following three months, your support coordinator will keep in touch with you either face-to-face, by phone and/or email. The level of support provided is based on your individual needs.
The Way Back Support Service can assist by:
- providing you with encouragement and support
- helping you follow your hospital discharge and safety plan
- assisting you to remain connected to your support networks
- supporting you to connect with your GP and other services that may help you in your journey to recovery
For further information about the Way Back Support Service send us an email or contact the Wellways local office on 02 5925 2911.
Need urgent assistance?
- Dial 000 or go to a hospital emergency department
- Wellways Helpline 1300 111 500 (Monday to Friday 9am-9pm, excluding public holidays)
- Accessline 1800 800 944
- Lifeline (24 hours) 13 11 14
- MensLine 1300 78 99 78
- Suicide Call Back Service (24 hours) 1300 659 467
- Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
The Way Back Support Service is funded by Murrumbidgee PHN. The Primary Health Networks Program is an Australian Government Initiative.