Detention Exit Community Outreach (DECO) is a recovery-focused outreach program supporting people diagnosed with a mental illness, who are exiting detention, to transition back into the community. The program provides intensive case management and psychosocial support for up to three months.
The program works with you to develop strategies to:
- manage your mental health and wellbeing
- access employment, education or training
- build and strengthen relationships with your family and friends
- improve living skills
- access and sustain accommodation
- reduce re-offending
- improve confidence in managing crisis
- enhance self-identity and self-esteem
- build resilience through integrating learning from experience
- create meaningful roles within your community
- manage safety and risk
Practical support includes assistance with meeting bail or release conditions, as well as attending court, probation and parole or other similar appointments. You will be provided with an opportunity to access SMART recovery and Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) counselling, and linkages to community supports to assist with your transition back into the community.
To be eligible for DECO you must:
- be aged between 16 and 65 years
- have a diagnosed mental illness
- be exiting detention
- be clinically managed or treated by an ACT Mental Health, Justice Health and Alcohol & Drug Service
DECO is funded by ACT Health and delivered in partnership by Wellways, Karralika Programs Inc and ACT Mental Health, Justice Health and Alcohol & Drug Services (MHJHADS).
For more information, please contact Wellways on 1300 111 400.