Wellways is calling on the community to not just say thanks to Australia’s carers, but to join our campaign to give carers a better go. We believe mental health carers and families should receive assistance to sustain supportive relationships and flourish in their own lives now and into the future.
Did you know?
- 38.4% of carers are not working due to their caring role
- 50% of mental health carers say their support needs are not being met
- 25.3% of carers are young people aged 15–24
- $1.2 billion is currently spent on support for mental health carers
- It would cost $13.2 billon to replace informal mental health care with formal support services
- Carer funding for people caring for someone with a mental illness/psychosocial disability is being transferred into the NDIS and that you/your carer won’t receive any benefits in their own right
You can show your support by:
- sharing the video below on your social media
- downloading the images of our carers below and share them on your social media
- sending us an email and tell us in a couple of lines why carer support is so important to you. If you are a carer, tell us what impact this has had on your life. If you have received carer support, tell us what impact this has had on your life. We will post your support for carers on our website
- writing to your local MP or a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. Tell them who you are, why you care about mental health and how it affects you, your family and your community. Share some of the statistics above and tell them about Wellways and how we are trying to get as many people as possible to sign up to advocate for systemic change. This will help to raise the profile of mental health issues in Australia. Get more tips here
- becoming a member of our advocacy community
- visiting the Carers Week website to see what else you can do